Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pixies - Doolittle


This is the cd cover for the album Doolittle by the Pixies. It was designed by Vaughan Oliver and photographer Simon Larbalestier. One of the songs on the album is called Monkey Gone to Heaven which is represented by the monkey with the halo. The numbers "5", "6", and "7" are included on the cover because the part of the lyrics included in Monkey Gone to Heaven say "If man is 5, and the devil is 6, then god is 7."
I first saw the cover years ago when I bought this album, ever since i have bought it, not only I have loved the music but also the photography through out the cd cover and the booklet. 
I really love the Grunge style used in the design, it has a real rusty feel to it. The use of typography for the "5", "6", and "7"is clever with using Helvetica printing blocks to represent the numbers. 
I believe this work is of high quality due to the clever photography and use of typography to represent songs. 
I was attracted to this piece because I love the band plus the style of the CD cover

1 comment:

  1. i declare this one of the best albums ever made. i'm not overly fond of the graphic design though, something about the colours is a bit blerch. they make up for it with the music though :)

    ReplyDelete